5.1.08

new year

happy new year!!

so it's obviously that time of year when the resolutions come out. we've waited all winter, piling on the pounds, ignoring our goals from the previous year, just to make it to january 1 when we can start fresh and be motivated by a new number at the end of the date. honestly, i haven't been much of a proponent for making new year's resolutions since i was about ten and my resolution to become a major league baseball player didn't really pan out, but this year is different, this year is special....this year...i'm getting married.

marriage, or the idea that in less than two months i will be married, has brought about in me a desire for some new kinds of resolutions. sure i want to lose ten pounds by my honeymoon, but there's something else there. there's now a spiritual pressure to be something more than i have been, do something more than i have been doing. it is altogether indescribable, but i do feel it is healthy. God has marked my life by placing challenges in my path to continually transform me into something He can use for His kingdom, and this is a big one, to completely understate it. in 54 days my life will be forever changed by the woman i love joining me in marriage; what then should my resolution be for this new stage? what can i resolve when i don't know what to expect from this year?

i suppose that the best i can do is to resolve to be open to the change God is likely to bring; resolve that life this year will be completely different from all the years past; and that no matter what happens, i must resolve to be God's son and to let His will govern my and katie's life as we start out into the unexpected.

....but i'm still going to loose those ten pounds ;-)

No comments: